The best American English learner’s dictionary provided by Cambridge University
The Cambridge Dictionary of American English provides definitions for about 40,000 words and is compiled to offer what learners need most in a dictionary.
With easy access, clear definitions, current vocabulary and plenty of examples this dictionary is an indispensable aid to students of English
This is a fully functional trial!
* Based on a 200 million-word corpus of American English that shows which words and phrases are really used in current American English, and what people really mean when they say or write those words
* Organized by meaning to help learners use English effectively
* Guidewords to help you quickly find the exact meaning you are looking for
* A 2,000-word defining vocabulary to help make definitions easy to understand
* Authentic, full-sentence examples to show how words are typically used and to help learners understand and use English more accurately
* Language Portraits to provide in-depth explanations of difficult grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and punctuation
The MSDict Dictionary Format
The Cambridge Dictionary of American English is here presented in MSDict electronic format. MSDict offers best experience in mobile reference and is available for any handheld platform.
* Quick dynamic search of words while you type
* Transcriptions facilitating pronunciation
* Hyperlinks between different related words
* History to see the last 50 words you have looked up
* Support for memory cards
* Filters to help you locate the word you are searching for:
o Fuzzy filter- used when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
o Keyword-used to locate the instances of a key word within other compound words
o Wild card – “?” and “*” replace a letter and group of letters in words
* Fast article scrolling
* Ability to have dictionary Word of the day as a widget on the phone home screen
* Ability to search words in the installed dictionaries through the standard phone search feature